21 Day Fix is an at-home workout and meal portioning program by trainer (and bikini competitor!) Autumn Calabrese, who promises that you can lose up to 15 lbs in just three weeks, or your money back. (Everyone loves a good money-back guarantee, yes?)
Why I love it
In brief – it taught me proper portion sizes and got me working out daily.
With the 21 Day Fix I lost 5.5 inches and 7.5 lbs in three weeks.
Who will benefit
The 21 Day Fix is a very basic regime of workouts and healthy eating. If you want to…
- Kick start an epic weight loss journey
- Get off a weight loss plateau
- Gain better shape and muscle tone
- Learn portion control
- Lose a few pounds and tighten up before a holiday or special event
- Create healthy habits that will last a lifetime
- Change up your workout routine with short, 30-minute pops
What’s the scoop?
The Fix comes with a Getting Started guide and a set of seven 30-minute DVD workouts. You receive coloured boxes of varying proportions which all correspond to food categories:
- Green – veggies
- Purple – fruit
- Red – protein
- Yellow – carbs
- Blue – healthy fats
- Orange – seeds, dressings
- Plus “teaspoons” – oils
Work out your caloric needs through the formula provided in the guide (all based on your current weight), and then you’ll know how many coloured boxes you need per day. You’re encouraged to drink loads of water, and you can still have your daily dose of caffeine through coffee and tea. Treats like wine, trail mix, dark chocolate can be worked into the plan, but not in huge quantities. The guide also provides lists of food for each coloured box, and a few recipes.
You don’t have to eat bulgur and broccoli every day. I even had a pizza last night using pita bread for the crust, tomato sauce, cheese, ham, peppers and onions…all portioned to fit in the boxes. You can eat what you want, as long as it fits in those boxes! I was not hungry on this program. If anything, there were days I struggled to eat all that was allocated to me! AND – I was not perfect. There was an incident with a tub of coconut Greek yogurt that shall not be brought up again…
The workout DVDs are only 30 minutes each = no excuses! The workout schedule assigns specific workouts to each day of the week.
- Total Body Cardio Fix – cardio conditioning from top to bottom
- Upper Fix – fab workout for the arms and abs
- Lower Fix – legs and calves, lunging and stuff
- Pilates Fix – harder than it sounds, man. Wait until you “mix the bowl.”
- Cardio Fix – heart rate is on! Work those compound moves.
- Dirty 30 – a little bit of everything
- Yoga Fix – wonderful stretching after a hard week
The program has a few bonus materials, such as Autumn’s 30 minute PLYO workout (jumping!) + a 10-minute ab workout, a 3-day fix eating plan for gotta-look-good events (reunion? Photo shoot?), and a Shakeology shaker cup for making shakes.
- I learned to eyeball portion sizes much more accurately. I know now when I’m going overboard on something. And you get to eat real food: no food in a box, no low-cal diet foods…only real, whole foods = clean eating.
- The workouts are only 30 minutes, and the sequence day after day works over your whole body for clearly defined results. Each workout has a modifier – if you can’t do the full range, there are alternatives demo’d nicely.
- Autumn reviews each move before she does it. There is no quick-change flow from one to another, she ensures that you keep your form so that you max that particular exercise. This means a lot to me – there are gym classes and workout DVDs where I stare at the screen trying to see how they do it, and by the time I figure it out, they move on.
- This is a long-term weight loss & fitness program! Totally sustainable.
- Stretch times post-workout were not very long; I’d suggest adding your own.
- You do need to have a yoga mat and a set of light/heavy weights or a resistance band to maximize the workouts. Sold separately! (I suppose this isn’t a HUGE con, but if you went into this budget minded you’d need to splash out a little extra if you didn’t already have these things.)
- The promise of losing up to 15 lbs is somewhat accurate. If you are going from overweight couch potato to 21 Day Fix, you probably will lose upwards of that amount, no problem. If you’re already fairly fit, you will probably see inches lost, but you won’t have 15 lbs fall off immediately.
Shakeology is a “daily dose of dense nutrition” and is a highly recommended but optional part of the 21 Day Fix. It is a meal replacement shake. Now, it took me three months before I even told anyone I was using this stuff, because in my mind replacing a meal with a supplement was weird. Well, Shakeo is chock full of superfoods, gives me more energy and kills my cravings. I love it. Sometimes I use it for breakfast, other times as a post-workout refresher. I suggest you use it with the 21 Day Fix (once a day) but that’s completely optional.
Overall, in my challenge group, two of my challengers lost more than 15 lbs each in three weeks. The remaining challengers averaged 2.5 lbs a week. All great results when the scale heads south!
I love this program enough that I’m doing another round. Like I said, it’s more a lifestyle than a one-off. I would recommend this to everyone, it’s that flexible and sustainable.
Here are my final stats after Round 1 from Day 0 -> Day 21:
Weight: 207.5 lbs -> 200 lbs
Chest: 41 inches -> 41 inches
R Arm: 13.5 inches -> 13 inches
L. Arm: 13.5 inches -> 13 inches
Waist: 43.5 inches -> 41.5 inches
Hips: 48 inches -> 46.5 inches
R. Thigh: 25 inches -> 24.5 inches
L. Thigh: 25 inches -> 24.5 inches
If you want to pick up the 21 Day Fix, here is the challenge pack link with Shakeology @ $160 USD, and here is the base kit program without Shakeology @ $59.85 USD. I’ll be here to cheer you on! Would love to hear your experiences with 21 Day Fix, or field any questions you’ve got – feel free to post below.